Social Media

My experience as Borneo working mom in Semenanjung Malaysia


Hello!

Today, I would like to share my experience as a working mom from Borneo in Semenanjung Malaysia.

I've spent my entire career working in Semenanjung Malaysia and have never worked in Borneo, either Sabah or Sarawak, as of the publication of this post. Although I've always dreamed of working there, my opportunities and expertise have led me to stay in Semenanjung Malaysia.


My Career Background

Throughout my career, I have worked in the Information and Technology field, specifically in Software Testing. My expertise lies in Software Testing, and my latest role is as a Test Consultant.


My Career Timeline

Oct 2011 - Feb 2021

I began working in October 2011. Before receiving an offer to work here, I had planned to return to Sarawak. However, I can’t recall why I changed my decision. I decided to look for a job in Semenanjung Malaysia, so I stayed with my sister in Johor for a few months. At that time, I hadn't graduated yet but was actively seeking employment. After several months of unsuccessful job hunting, I decided to move to Kuala Lumpur with my cousin, Amy, after securing employment training for 3 months.

Unfortunately, the training had to be canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, so I was unemployed at my cousin Amy’s house. 

In September 2011, I attended a walk-in interview at Sony EMCS (M) Sdn Bhd in Bandar Baru Bangi, Selangor. Thankfully, I secured my first job there before my convocation. I am grateful for that opportunity!

I worked at Sony for 9 years, where I experienced being a first-time working mom. I can say that working as a mom there was a great experience! The company provided a designated place for working moms to pump, which I really appreciated. 

However, to further my career in Software Testing and to take care of my mental health, I decided to leave my job and seek a position better aligned with my career goals.

During my time at Sony, I met many people, some of whom have become good friends. I worked with a diverse group, including Malays, Chinese, Indians, Japanese, and more. I am forever grateful for the cooperative people I worked with and the valuable lessons I learned.


Apr 2021 - Feb 2024

In April 2021, I found a new job at Tech Mahindra Sdn Bhd (BPO: Tenaga Nasional Berhad), where I worked as a contract employee. This was my first experience as a contract worker, and I often felt disconnected from the company. Although I worked with and in TNB, I didn’t receive the same benefits as TNB staff because I was a contract worker from another company.

After a year with Tech Mahindra, TNB decided to change its outsourcing company, and I moved to TechnoMech (M)-Vantage Point Consulting Sdn Bhd. I hoped this change would improve my situation, but it only got worse. The company did not provide maternity leave or benefits like bonuses; I only received my monthly salary. While I appreciated the salary, I knew I deserved better and decided to explore other opportunities.

Having worked in two different companies, I am grateful for the good people I met along the way. Some coworkers became close friends, and we grew to feel like family.

My accent has also changed—though sometimes I slip and my Sabah or Sarawak accent comes through!

If you’re wondering if I’ve encountered challenging people, the answer is yes. Challenges have made me more resilient, stronger, and better every day. 

However, as a human, there are some people I find difficult to tolerate, so I’ve learned to make decisions that are best for me. I am not a tree; I can move wherever I want and pursue what I want.

Post a Comment

Theme by BD