Social Media

Tasting Sinalau Bakas: A Culinary Adventure in Sabah[Non halal food]


During my recent trip to Kundasang,Sabah, I had the opportunity to indulge in one of the region's most unique and flavorful dishes: Sinalau Bakas

This traditional Kadazan-Dusun delicacy, which translates to "smoked wild boar," offers a taste experience unlike any other. 

Here’s a glimpse into my culinary adventure with Sinalau Bakas.


Discovering Sinalau Bakas

I first heard about Sinalau Bakas from a local friend who spoke passionately about its rich, smoky flavor and cultural significance. I always wanted to tried it but never had a chance because whenever we come back home for Christmas before we will straight go back to my husband's hometown. 

Now, we are moved to Sabah and my husband just tranferred here so the first thing we did is go to Kundasang and try Sinalau Bakas! Special thanks to my in law's family for making this dream come true!



The Preparation

The process of making Sinalau Bakas is a time-honored tradition. Fresh wild boar meat is marinated with salt and various spices before being smoked over an open fire. This smoking process imparts a distinct flavor and aroma to the meat, making it tender and delicious. Watching the preparation, I gained a deeper appreciation for the skill and patience required to create this delicacy.





They used this to smoked the wild boar! No wonder its so delicious!


The Taste Experience

As the Sinalau Bakas was served, the tantalizing aroma filled the air. The first bite was a revelation – the meat was incredibly tender, with a perfect balance of smokiness and spice. The flavors were bold yet harmonious, each bite offering a burst of savory goodness. Paired with a side of local sambal known as tuhau and fresh vegetables, the dish was truly a feast for the senses.




Cultural Significance

Sinalau Bakas is more than just a dish; it’s a reflection of the Kadazan-Dusun culture and their deep connection to the land and traditions. Sharing this meal with locals was a meaningful experience, as they shared stories and customs associated with the preparation and consumption of Sinalau Bakas. 

It was a beautiful reminder of how food can bring people together and preserve cultural heritage.

While we eating sinalau bakas, they also sell durian, petai and tarap(local fruit), it's heaven for me!




Here is my son enjoying the ride and of course, need to buy airplanes toys.



Conclusion

My encounter with Sinalau Bakas in Sabah was a highlight of my trip, offering a delicious and culturally enriching experience. If you ever find yourself in Sabah, I highly recommend seeking out this unique delicacy. It’s not just a meal, but a journey into the heart of Sabah’s culinary traditions.

Post a Comment

Theme by BD